This is one of the many California Natural products that are marketed as pure and simple nutritional solutions for your dog. It is made from tasty, easily digestible ingredients that pack plenty of nutrition. Use this feed as it is or add a complementary canned food to create even more interest for your dog’s meals. California Natural is known for their lack of ingredients. They do not incorporate any by-products and they do not use andy artificial additives or preservatives in their diets.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This dry food supplies 4092 Kcal per kilogram, which comes to 511 Kcal per cup. How much kibble you feed your dog depends on his size, age, activity level, and other factors. Consult with your veterinarian to determine how much of this diet should be fed to your pet.
This food is sold in three sizes for your convenience. The 5-lb bag costs on average $9.99, the 15-lb bag costs $25.99 and the 30-lb bag costs $44.99.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Chicken Meal and Rice Dry Dog Food|
- Chicken meal – a meat concentrate that has up to 300% more protein than fresh chicken
- Brown rice – a whole grain, provides an easy to digest complex carbohydrate once cooked. Brown rice is low in fat and is an excellent fiber source. It also contributes to some of this diet’s protein content.
- Rice – this ingredient is probably white rice which is slightly lower in nutritional value than the brown rice listed above. White rice undergoes further processing vs. brown rice and due to this fact that it loses some of these properties. It is still a low-fat carbohydrate source and also provides some protein to this diet.
- Sunflower oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid) – provides linoleic acid, an essential omega-6 fatty acid which aids in a healthy skin and coat. It also has anti-oxidant benefits.
- Flaxseed – provides fat, fiber, protein, and is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It does not state if the Flaxseed has been ground or not, but it must be ground in order to fully utilize this ingredient.
- Natural flavors
- Potassium chloride
- Sea salt
- Vitamins: Vitamin E supplement, Betaine hydrochloride, Vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, beta carotene, Viatmin B12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid.
- Minerals: calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate
- Rosemary extract
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that California Natural Chicken Meal & Rice Adult Dry Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.
The ingredient list shows that chicken meal is the most abundant ingredient in this dog food. Meals are made by rendering fresh meats, which are then cooked, dried and ground. This process reduces the fat and moisture from the tissues. The resulting meal is a highly concentrated quality source of animal protein which may contain up to 300% more protein that its meat counterpart. Using this meal rather than fresh meat aids in the manufacturing process of dry pet foods, where moisture is obviously not desired. Though this product is not grain-free, the use of brown rice indicates an intention in the whole grain direction, even though some white rice is apparently included as well. The food contains the essential fatty acids needed for your dog’s overall health as well as for a healthy skin and coat. The added minerals are chelated to protein which makes them easier to absorb by your dog’s digestive system. This kind of mineral additive is an indicator of a better quality food.
Review indicates that this dry dog food appears to have a complete nutritional profile and has been tested in feeding studies according to AAFCO procedures. It can stand alone as your dog’s sole diet or be supplemented and made even more appetizing with a wet food topper. California Natural makes a variety of similar foods so that you can provide your pet with some taste and protein variation by changing formulas periodically if you wish.
California Natural dog foods are made by Natura Pet Products, a division of the Procter and Gamble Company. They seem to be made from high-quality nutrient-rich ingredients and the company claims to be careful in processing so that the natural goodness is preserved. No artificial colors, additives, or preservatives are added. With California Natural products you can expect a nutritious food that will help to give your pet the energy level and beautiful coat that are the indicators of a healthy animal.