This canned dog food is a nutritionally complete way to provide your dog with the taste and moisture he would really like to see at each meal. Dogs often find wet foods more appealing than dry dog foods. By using fresh chicken as the sole source of animal protein, this food is made to be easily digestible, especially with the addition of wholesome brown rice. California Natural uses all natural ingredients and claims that their limited ingredient approach is perfect for some pets that may experience food sensitivities or food allergies.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This food supplies 1275 Kcal per kilogram, or 477 Kcal per can.
The cost for this food averages $20.99 for a case of twelve 31.2 oz cans, which comes to $1.75 per can.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food|
- Chicken – fresh chicken is a high-quality protein source. Chicken is also a good source of vitamins B3 and B6. It also contains trace minerals such as selenium.
- Chicken broth – an alternative to processing with plain water, this may add some water soluble proteins to this diet as well as some fats from the chicken muscle, bone and marrow used to make this broth.
- Brown rice – a good whole grain providing protien, fiber and many essential nutrients, it is an easily digestible carbohydrate source. Brown rice is also low in fat, but provides a good source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids as well as Vitamin E.
- Natural flavor – to add taste interest for your pet. Source and quality is not stated.
- Ground flaxseed – a good source of fats and fiber as well as protein. Ground flaxseed is high in Omega-3 fatty acids which have numerous anti-inflammatory benefits.
Other Ingredients List
- Potassium chloride
- Guar gum
- Minerals: iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, selenium yeast, potassium iodide
- Sodium phosphate
- Vitamins: Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, riboflavin supplement
- L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C)
- Choline chloride
- Sunflower oil
- Beta carotene
California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
Review of this products nutritional information show that this canned dog food can provide complete nutrition for your pet if used as the sole diet. Chicken and brown rice are both easily digestible nutrient sources and they are fully supplemented to provide complete health for all life stages in this formula.
High moisture content is expected in a canned food because water (or in this case chicken broth) is needed during the processing of canned diets. The use of fresh meat also contributes to this diet’s high moisture content. When the protein and fat levels are calculated based on the dry weight, subtracting the moisture content, the figures jump to 37.5% protein and 29% fat. The food contains an appropriate vitamin spectrum and the minerals added are chelated to protein so they can be absorbed more easily. This product does not have any added prebiotics or probiotics, but nor does it have any artificial preservatives or additives. A appropriate balance of essential fatty acids, both omega-3 and omega-6, are included for your pet’s optimal health and to help maintain a beautiful and healthy skin and coat.
Maybe you are wondering whether canned food or dry kibble is best for your dog. The truth is that both types have some advantages and disadvantages. Dogs often like canned foods better than dry food as they can be more aromatic and appealing to the senses of a dog. Canned foods may be especially useful for feeding older dogs, smaller breeds, and dogs with dental problems that can eat a soft food more easily than a dry kibble. Canned foods often have a longer shelf life than dry foods, and unopened cans stay fresh for a long time. Canned food is often more expensive, than dry food and it may be cost prohibitive to feed larger breeds canned foods as their sole diet.
The California Natural brand is part of the Natura Pet Products family, a division of the Procter & Gamble Company. Though all Natura dry kibbles are produced in a plant in Nebraska, no statement could be found on the company website about where California Natural canned dog foods are manufactured.