Blue Buffalo Wilderness™ Salmon Recipe dog food seems to be a wonderful source of nutrition to feed your dog. As a brand, Blue Buffalo products have a reputation for large quantities of high protein meat, low carbohydrates, no grain allergens, and a powerful nutritional supplement lineup. A review of the Wilderness Salmon Recipe reveals a product that lives up to that reputation. The addition of salmon makes this the kind of tasty food your dog will love to eat.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
Wilderness Salmon Recipe contains approximately 3,529 kcal per kg of food or 415 kcal per dry cup.
While cost may vary, it averages approximately 57.99 per 24 lbs or 2.42 per pound.
|March 5, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe|
- Deboned Salmon – is generally accepted as an exceptionally valuable meat. High in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, salmon may help to fight inflammation and protect the joints, something especially important for larger breeds. The vitamin D and selenium found in salmon are suggested to protect against cancer.
- Menhaden Fish Meal – While fish meal is usually considered to be questionable in quality, the manufacturer states that this fish meal is made from high quality fish and not the by-products of manufacturing. Quality fish products are a good source of protein and omega fatty acids.
- Chicken Meal – Like the fish meal noted above, the manufacturer asserts that the chicken meal used in this product is made from quality chicken parts, and not from by-products. Chicken adds another valuable source of animal proteins.
- Potato Starch – is often considered a good choice for a gluten-free, non-allergenic quality carbohydrate.
- Peas – provide another good source of carbohydrates as well as natural dietary fiber.
- Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid)
- Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene)
- Natural Chicken Flavor
- Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids)
- Alfalfa Meal
- Whole Carrots
- Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Barley Grass
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Kelp
- Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Oil of Rosemary
- Vitamin Supplement
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Niacin (Vitamin B3)
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5)
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
- Biotin (Vitamin B7)
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C)
- Vitamin D3 Supplement
- Vitamin E Supplement
- Iron Amino Acid Chelate
- Zinc Amino Acid Chelate
- Manganese Amino Acid Chelate
- Copper Amino Acid Chelate
- Choline Chloride
- Sodium Selenite
- Calcium Iodate
- Potassium Chloride
- Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
- Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product
- Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product
- Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Blue Buffalo asserts that this formula meets the nutritional levels prescribed by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for the maintenance of adult dogs.
Blue Buffalo’s Wilderness™ Salmon recipe seems to be unique for several reasons. The company claims that the Wilderness™ line of dog foods are designed to simulate the diets of wolves, and are geared toward large, active dogs. It has a high protein level, all derived from quality meats. This kind of quality protein is a rare feature among dog food producers.
Another distinguishing feature of this dog food is its high caloric content. This higher caloric content coupled with high protein seems to make this a good choice for active dogs with a demanding lifestyle.
In addition, Wilderness™ Salmon contains omega fatty acids, which are scientifically proven to be important for health, but have no AAFCO guidelines for how much is required by dogs:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – 1.3% min
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids – 3.0% min
Blue Buffalo Company promotes their LifeSource Bits® in most of their products, including this one. These bits appear to be an incredible blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants designed to support healthy immune systems. These exclusive bits include:
- Vitamins A, C, and E
- Beta Carotene
- Barley Grass
This blend of nutrient dense supplements are said to be “cold-formed” separate from the rest of the kibble in order to preserve their valuable benefits from destruction by heat. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon is proudly made in the USA, and claims to be made with the finest quality ingredients. The lineup of powerful ingredients in this dry dog food combined with the quality preparation make this a highly recommended dog food.