The combination of quality whitefish and sweet potatoes just might get your dog to licking his jowls while providing him with the essential fatty acids and healthy protein his body needs. Fish is often touted for its health benefits, and with the addition of sweet potatoes, this formula appears to be a wonderful blend of nutrition to help your favorite dog thrive. What a great way for your dog to enjoy fish without you having to worry about the bones.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
Blue Buffalo’s Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe contains approximately 3,590 kcals per kilogram. This is equivalent to approximately 440 kcals per dry cup.
The price of any dog food will vary, but this particular formula averages around $2 per pound. Usually the 30 lb bag offers greater value and averages less than $2 per pound.
|March 5, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Adult Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe|
- Deboned Whitefish – is an excellent source of quality protein and essential fatty acids. Fish is said to contain nutrients which support joint, skin, and fur health, as well as protect against cancer.
- Whole Ground Brown Rice – is a complex carbohydrate. Brown rice generally contains more fiber and other healthful nutrients than white rice.
- Whole Ground Barley – is another complex carbohydrate that has the advantage of being gluten free. This is important for dogs that may have sensitivities to gluten contained in wheat and corn.
- Menhadden Fish Meal – is another high quality source of protein and essential fatty acids. Blue Buffalo claims that the fish meal they use is of high quality and not made from rejected fish parts.
- Oatmeal – is a complex carbohydrate that is rich in B-vitamins. It is also gluten free and provides a good source of natural fiber.
Other Ingredients List
- Canola Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols)
- Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene)
- Whole Sweet Potatoes
- Natural Fish Flavor
- Whole Potatoes
- Whole Carrots
- Flaxseed(source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids)
- Barley Grass
- Dried Parsley
- Alfalfa Meal
- Dried Kelp
- Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Glucosamine Hydrochloride
- Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids)
- Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols)
- Dried Chicory Root
- Oil of Rosemary
- Beta Carotene
- Vitamin A Supplement
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Niacin (Vitamin B3)
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5)
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
- Biotin (Vitamin B7)
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C)
- Vitamin D3 Supplement
- Vitamin E Supplement
- Iron Amino Acid Chelate
- Zinc Amino Acid Chelate
- Mananese Amino Acid Chelate
- Copper Amino Acid Chelate
- Choline Chloride
- Sodium Selenite
- Calcium Iodate
- Calcium Carbonate
- Potassium Chloride
- Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
- Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product
- Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product
- Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product
An AAFCO statement was not found for Blue Wilderness Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe. This seems to be a trend on their website, and although their formulas seem nutritionally sound, one would wonder why they do not make AAFCO claims.
Blue Wilderness Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe appears to form an excellent diet for adult dogs. It might be observed that the proportion of fish may decrease in the cooking process, making it actually be a lesser quantity in the formula. In spite of this, the protein content in the formula is still very adequate for most dogs.
In addition, Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe contains omega fatty acids, which are not considered essential according to AAFCO Pet Food Nutrient Profiles, but are scientifically proven to be important for health:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – 1.3% min
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids – 3.0% min
The kind of carbohydrates in this formula are complex and comprised of whole grains, which can provide a greater level of fiber and valuable nutrients. For owners concerned about how much gluten their dog eats, this formula provides a gluten-free alternative.
The Blue Buffalo brand of dog food promotes their LifeSource Bits® in most of their products, including this one. These bits appear to be an incredible blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants designed to support healthy immune systems. This blend of nutrient dense supplements are said to be “cold-formed” separate from the rest of the kibble in order to preserve their valuable benefits from destruction by heat.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Fish & Sweet Potato Recipe seems to be a high quality dog food with quality ingredients. Fish is a popular protein to feed dogs, due to its high essential fatty acid content. The combination of good protein sources, gluten-free complex carbohydrate choices, and an excellent blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants appear to create a well-balanced dog food.