While your mom may have never shared her tasty stews with the dog, Blue Buffalo seeks to capitalize on the nostalgia of hearty stews in this interesting formula. Minimal ingredients, including no grain products, combined with a generous dose of protein and adequate fats seem to make this a good choice for your pet’s diet.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
The calorie content of this formula has been calculated to contain 1,111 kcals per kilogram and 394 kcals per 12.5 ounce can.
This formula comes in a 12.5 ounce can at an average cost of $2.50 per can when purchased in a case of 12.
|January 17, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Blue’s Tasty Turkey Stew Canned Dog Food|
- Turkey – is an excellent source of animal protein. Because Blue Buffalo maintains a commitment to avoid animal by-products, it can be assumed that the turkey in this formula is of the highest quality for your pet.
- Turkey Broth – has sometimes been dismissed as having no more value than water in a recipe. However, animal-based broths have a long tradition of promoting health and vital nutrition.
- Water – is common in canned products and has probably been added in this formula to produce the stew-like consistency one would expect.
- Peas – are a good source of dietary fiber and quality carbohydrates. They also contain vegetable protein, but this would most likely play an insignificant role in the overall protein content.
- Egg – said to be the perfect food, eggs contain some of all of the essential amino acids. They also contain high quality saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. The one of the only foods that contains Vitamin D, eggs help to build strong, healthy bones. High sulphur content, as well as other vitamins and minerals make eggs an excellent food to promote healthy skin and coat. Eggs are easily digested and have a high biological value. They have likely been included in this formula to boost the protein levels provided by the turkey.
- Potato Starch,
- Guar Gum,
- Whole Potatoes,
- Natural Flavor,
- Sodium Phosphate,
- Potassium Chloride,
- Vitamin A Supplement,
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),
- Niacin (Vitamin B3),
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
- Biotin (Vitamin B7),
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),
- Vitamin B12 Supplement,
- Vitamin D3 Supplement,
- Vitamin E Supplement,
- Iron Amino Acid Chelate,
- Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,
- Copper Amino Acid Chelate,
- Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,
- Sodium Selenite,
- Calcium Iodate,
- Choline Chloride
No AAFCO Statement was found for this canned dog food formula.
Simple and basic is a great way to describe this canned food. Much like your mother’s stew, we find the list of ingredients pretty straight forward. And while simplicity has its virtues, it should be noted that this formula lacks some of the fancy added nutrients common in most of their formulas and other health-conscious formulas.
Pet owners concerned with feeding grain free foods will find this formula a perfect match. While many stew products contain wheat as a thickener, this formula stays true to Blue Buffalo’s wheat free diet. In fact, it is also corn, grain, soy, and artificial preservative free. Further, the proteins in this formula can be assumed to be of the highest quality due to the brand’s commitment to no animal by-products.
While some pet owners may be concerned of the kind of product that does not have an AAFCO statement, it should be realized that this is true of all of Blue Buffalo’s line of pet foods. However, the company has demonstrated a commitment to quality nutrition, and it could be assumed that this formula contains adequate nutrition for most dogs. Pet owners should review the ingredients and nutritional information and consult with a veterinarian to decide on how much of this food their dog should eat.
While many canned stew products are available, this one stands out because of its quality ingredients and simple recipe. It seems to provide ample nutrition for most dogs to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. This is a recommended, USA made formula for those wishing for a quality, simple diet for their adult dogs.