While your grandma may not have shared her Irish Stew with the dogs, Blue Buffalo is counting on the nostalgia of hearty stews to sell this particular dog food formula. The ingredients list shows the makings of a great stew, and seems to offer adequate nutrition for most adult dogs. This grain free recipe may be of particular importance for dog owners concerned with the kind of carbohydrates in their dog’s diet.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This food contains 1,234 kcals per kilogram or 437 kcals per 12.5 ounce can.
Individual costs may vary, but the average cost for Blue Buffalo’s Irish Stew is $29.99 per case of 12, or approximately $2.50 per can. When comparing prices, consumers should note that this food is in a 12.5 ounce can vs. a more typical 13.2 ounce size.
|March 6, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Blue’s Irish Lamb Stew Canned Dog Food|
- Lamb – is an excellent source of animal protein that contains less saturated fats than many other meat products. Lamb is a popular meat in dog foods and contains many valuable minerals and nutrtients, including tryptophan, selenium, and vitamin B12. It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. While no mention is made of the parts of lamb used, owners can rest in the Blue Buffalo brand commitment to no animal by-products.
- Chicken Broth – may be a great source of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. While some discount broths as having no more nutritional value than water, broths have been traditionally appreciated for their nutritive benefits.
- Water – has presumably been added to increase the liquid proportion of this formula and give it a more stew-like appearance.
- Peas – are a valuable source of grain-free carbohydrates. Rich in phyto-nutrients, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins, peas are particularly high in foliates which may be required for DNA synthesis in cells. Peas also contain B-sitosterol, a plant which may help to lower cholesterol levels.
- Egg – said to be the perfect food, eggs contain some of all of the essential amino acids. They also contain high quality saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. The one of the only foods that contains Vitamin D, eggs help to build strong, healthy bones. High sulphur content, as well as other vitamins and minerals make eggs an excellent food to promote healthy skin and coat.
- Potato Starch,
- Guar Gum,
- Whole Potatoes,
- Natural Flavor,
- Sodium Phosphate,
- Potassium Chloride,
- Vitamin A Supplement,
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),
- Niacin (Vitamin B3),
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
- Biotin (Vitamin B7),
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),
- Vitamin B12 Supplement,
- Vitamin D3 Supplement,
- Vitamin E Supplement,
- Iron Amino Acid Chelate,
- Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,
- Copper Amino Acid Chelate,
- Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,
- Sodium Selenite,
- Calcium Iodate,
- Choline Chloride
Typical for Blue Buffalo’s line of pet foods, there is no AAFCO Statement available for this recipe.
For a canned stew dog food, Blue Buffalo’s ingredients appear to be are above average. Of special note is the lack of wheat, which is commonly used to thicken stews of this kind in other brands. Further, this appears to be a completely grain-free recipe, making it a good choice for dogs who may have allergic reactions to glutens and certain grains.
Although this formula offers a slightly lower protein content than some of Blue Buffalo’s other canned products, it still maintains reasonable levels, especially considering the lack of filler-type carbohydrates. Both lamb and eggs have high biological value and provide excellent sources of animal-based proteins.
Simple and back to the basics, this formula seems to offer a bit of good old fashioned sustenance for adult dogs. Owners will want to review the ingredients and nutrition facts to determine if the formula adequately meets the needs of their pet. For dogs with a propensity to allergic reactions to certain foods, this food offers a grain free, gluten free, and limited ingredient option which may serve them well. Lamb makes a high quality protein, and when combined with the other top five ingredients, helps to make this a nourishing, well-balanced formula. No questionable ingredients and high nutritional value make this a recommended dog food to promote health.
Maybe it is time to let your pet eat some comfort food. As a pet owner, you can choose quality USA made formulas to feed your favorite dog. Blue Buffalo offers some great options.