In response to customer requests for alternate protein sources, California Natural created a formula with a protein source rich in amino acids and essential fatty acids with a taste your dog will love: salmon. With its high nutrition, many pet owners are turning to salmon to meet the nutritional needs of their pets. And, since California Natural understands that what you leave out is often as important as what you put in, this formula is grain-free and without by-products and artificial flavorings.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This canned formula comes in 13.2 ounce cans. Each can is said to contain 554 kcal, or the equivalent of 1481 kcal per kilogram.
The cost of this formula is approximately $1.83 per can, when purchased by the case..
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Salmon & Sweet Potato Adult Canned Dog Food|
- Salmon – considered to be a valuable and high quality protein source for dogs. It contains high quantities of Omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon’s high levels of EPA as well as DHA Omega-3 fatty acids, indicate that it may be helpful for overall health, as a natural anti-inflammatory for joint support, promotion of healthy skin and coat, and may also be beneficial for the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- Mackerel – much like salmon, mackerel is a fish which is a rich protein source that is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and even has some Omega-6 fatty acids. It is also rich in minerals and vitamins which are vital for dog’s health.
- Salmon Broth – while some dismiss the value of broths in formulas, they have traditionally been held in high esteem for their nurturing qualities. Easily digestible water soluble proteins as well as some vitamins and minerals are possible advantages of using broth in this formula instead of just using water for moisture.
- Sweet Potatoes – the single carbohydrate in this formula, are a good source of dietary fiber and are rich in beta carotene, as well as potassium, magnesium, vitamins A, and B6 and iron. The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes adds to the palatability of the formula, providing a taste many dogs enjoy eating.
- Sunflower Oil – a significant fat source in this formula is plant-based and contains high levels of omega-6 fatty acids. These fatty acids complement the high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids found in the salmon and makerel that this diet includes. Omega-6 fatty acids are vital for proper health and touted for their anti-oxidant capabilities.
- Natural Flavor
- Herring Oil
- Guar Gum
- L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C)
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin)
- Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Iodide)
- Sodium Phosphate
- Potassium Chloride
- Choline Chloride
- Beta Carotene
The manufacturer states that this food has been formulated to meet the requirements of the AAFCO dog food nutritional profiles for all life stages.
California Natural has put together a winning combination in this formula. The high quality fish-based proteins, combined with a grain-free carbohydrate source, make this a dog food you can have confidence in feeding to your pet. Salmon has been highly touted for its excellent nutrition and this brand has a commitment to not using by-products. This would suggest the inclusion of high-quality fish. The addition of mackerel as well as herring oil helps to boost the essential fatty acids in the formula. Dogs with a propensity for gastrointestinal disorders may benefit from a diet limited to these forms of proteins and the natural anti-inflammatory properties of the fatty acids included in this diet.
Sweet potatoes are another ingredient that may be conducive for those special dogs with reactions to other kinds of carbohydrates, as it tends to be less of an allergen than some grains that are often used as carbohydrate sources. They also boast a low glycemic index, indicating it may be of benefit to dogs with blood sugar imbalances. Sweet potatoes offer a rich boost of beta carotene and antioxidants which may help to boost immunity, enhance eyesight, and protect against cancer.
The beauty of this formula lies in its simplicity. A review of the label reveals basic, nutritious ingredients without added fillers. This makes this diet a highly recommended food source for your favorite dog. It also has a fairly high kcal value compared to other canned dog foods, giving it an extra boost of energy. As a rule, dog foods of this kind often have a lower kcal per kilogram content due to the added moisture. This formula is lower in kcal than dry foods, but still contains a reasonable amount.
Overall this is a highly recommended food for dogs in various stages of life. High nutrition, simple ingredients, and absence of additives and potential allergy causing ingredients make it a great choice. Its lower fiber content which may be a drawback for some individuals is, perhaps, the only drawback in an otherwise power-packed can of USA made health.