Some dogs have special needs, and California Natural seeks to address those needs in order to maintain the optimal health of your favorite pet. This formula is said to be designed for dogs that need a lower fat and lower calorie intake than others. Designed with a “less is better” philosophy, this food has fewer ingredients than many comparable formulas. Pets struggling with obesity may benefit from the lower fat and lower calorie levels this product supplies.
Since this is touted as a low-fat formula, the maximum amount of fat is also listed with the usually included minimum amount.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
The manufacturer states that this formula contains 3,490 kcal per kilogram of dry food or 317 kcal per cup.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Low Fat Rice and Lamb Meal Adult Dry Dog Food|
- Brown Rice – a source of complex carbohydrates, brown rice is generally easily digested by dogs, once it has been cooked. It is a source of dietary fiber, as well as B vitamins, magnesium, selenium, and other nutrients.
- Lamb Meal – an excellent source of animal protein that contains less saturated fats than many other meat products. Lamb is a popular meat in dog foods and contains many valuable minerals and nutrtients, including tryptophan, selenium, iron, and vitamin B12. It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Rice – also added as a source of complex carbohydrates, this ingredient is assumed to be white rice. White rice contains many of the same nutrients as brown rice, although usually at lower levels than brown rice due to the additional processing it goes through. It also has a lower fiber content than brown rice.
- Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid) – this fat source is plant-based and is high in linoleic acid: an Omega-6 fatty acid. It also provides vitamins E and B.
- Natural Flavors – evidently included to enhance the taste of this formula, the source and quality of these flavors are unknown.
- Potassium Chloride
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid)
- Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Rosemary Extract
California Naturals asserts that this formula meets the nutritional standards mandated by the AAFCO dog food nutritional profiles for maintenance.
Simple ingredients are a key point in this formula. A review of this formula reveals a simple list of ingredients, without any fancy supplements, but also without any artificial ingredients, or items that could cause concern. Lamb is consistently found in quality brands as a great alternative meat/protein source. Natural flavors are common in dog food formulations and are likely included to enhance the flavors of this formula. This is a simple dog food that may be ideal for pet owners who wish to reduce the potential for allergies due to corn or wheat in their dog’s feeding regimen as well as help their pet maintain a healthy weight.
Touted to be low fat, it seems to have a lower fat content when compared to some other dry dog food formulas. The maximum amount of fat is 9.0%, which is lower than the minimum amount found in some other formulations. Because the manufacture states the maximum fat levels, those concerned with the amount of fat their dog eats can be assured that this formula will give lower levels of fats in their dog’s diet.
True to the “less is more” philosophy of this brand, California Natural Low Fat Rice and Lamb Meal Adult Dry Dog Food has a short ingredient list. Noticeably lacking is the addition of probiotics, vegetables, fruits, and artificial preservatives. For those desiring to supply a basic diet for their dog, this formula may be an ideal match. However, those accustomed to a more comprehensive supplement list may feel it is lacking.
Since this formula is low fat, and only recommended for adult maintenance, it is not a good choice for growing puppies or pregnant or nursing females. It is best to consult with your veterinarian to determine if this lower fat, lower calorie diet is appropriate for your dog. Your veterinarian can also help you to determine how much of this diet should be fed to your pet each day to maintain or promote a healthy weight and body condition.
Another example of California Natural’s commitment to providing quality nutrition specialized to meet the varying needs of your pet, this USA made formula appears to be a high quality source of nutrition for your less active or overweight dog.