If your dog needs low fat food options, California Natural seems to have custom made this formula for your pet. With fat percentages not exceeding 9%, limited ingredients, and adequate nutrition for maintaining health, this could be a good formula for your dog. Dogs with a slower lifestyle and those that may be slightly overweight may benefit from eating this formula. Some owners may have concerns over the seeming lower levels of meats, but this seems to be a fairly good formula for adult dogs needing restrictions on dietary fat intake.
Because this formula is promoted as low fat, the maximum fat percentage has been included in addition to the usual minimum amount.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This formula’s calorie content is shown to be as follows: 3,421 kcal per kilogram or 391 kcal per cup. This information can be used as a guide to help determine how much of this food to feed your pet.
This dog food formula is available in both 15 and 30 lb bags. The actual cost will vary, but averages approximately $1.60 to $1.80 per pound, depending on the size of bag purchased.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Low Fat Rice & Chicken Meal Adult Dry Dog Food|
- Brown Rice – a good source of complex carbohydrates, brown rice is generally easily digested by dogs, once it has been cooked. It contains dietary fiber, as well as B vitamins, fatty acids, magnesium, selenium, and other essential nutrients.
- Chicken Meal – while animal meals are sometimes made of by-products from meat processing facilities, California Natural claims to use high quality meat products with no by-products. Chicken meal is a highly concentrated form of protein, with up to almost four times more protein than fresh meat, by weight.
- Rice – this could be assumed to be white rice, which has a slightly lower fiber and nutrient content than brown. California Natural states that the rice delivered to their plant arrives in its whole, original form and is processed only once before being added to their foods.
- Chicken fat – a quality, highly digestable, source of necessary dietary fats. Chicken fat also provides essential fatty acids which may help to promote a healthy skin and coat.
- Flaxseed – is another quality ingredient which contains high levels of fats as well as significant amounts of protein and fiber. It is also highly concentrated in Omega-3 fatty acids and therefore provides the anti-inflammatory effects of these fatty acids which may help to create a healthier skin and coat, provide immune benefits as well as its antioxidant effects.
- Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid)
- Natural Flavors
- Potassium Chloride
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid)
- Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Rosemary Extract
California Natural states that this product meets the recommended requirements in the AAFCO dog food profiles for maintenance.
As a low-fat dog food, this formula does seem to have lower fat content than many other dog food brands. The maximum amount of 9% fat is lower than the minimums on most regular dog food diets. While a lower fat diet may be appropriate for some dogs, pets do require a certain amount of quality fats to maintain vibrant health. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if this diet’s fat content and kcal per cup content would be appropriate for your pet. He or she can also help you determine how much of this diet should be fed to your dog each day.
Also, because this formula is low fat, it is only recommended as a complete diet for the maintenance of adult dogs. It is therefore not recommended for growing puppies or pregnant or nursing females. However, if your dog is struggling with obesity the combination of quality nutrients and the low fat content of this diet may make it a great option for your pet.
The fat that is included in this formula is considered to be of high quality. Chicken fat is a good animal based fat source and is one of the most digestable fats available. Its high concentrations of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids provide anti-inflammatory and many other beneficial effects.
If one just reviewed the ingredient list, they might consider it to be just an average dog food. What sets this formula apart, however, is the fact that California Natural continues its tradition of no by-products and limited ingredients to create a USA made formula that they claim will nurture your pets health and longevity. Limited ingredients and low fats are its strong points, possibly making it suitable for dogs with certain food sensitivities and for those needing a restriction on fat intake.