Sometimes it is the little things that matter. Things like bite size can be overlooked until you try feeding a large kibble to a small dog. California Natural understands this problem and has made this formula with a smaller bite size to make it easier for a for smaller breeds to eat. Limited ingredients and natural sources are the draw for this quality formula. While it is lacking some of the fancy ingredients and additives of other brands, this California Natural Formula offers a more simplified form of quality nutrition.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This formula is said to contain 3,990 kcal per kilogram or 430 kcal per cup.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice Small Bite Dry Dog Food|
- Lamb Meal – is a concentrated form of protein. Containing up to 300% more protein than fresh meat by weight. Animal meals are sometimes considered to be of questionable quality, but California Natural claims to use quality meat sources. With this in mind, this ingredient should be considered as an excellent source of animal protein that contains less saturated fats than many other meat products. Lamb is a popular meat in dog foods and contains many valuable minerals and nutrtients, including tryptophan, selenium, and vitamin B12. It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Brown Rice – a source of complex carbohydrates, brown rice is generally easily digested by dogs, once it has been cooked. It contains dietary fiber, as well as other nutrients, including B vitamins, magnesium, and selenium. It generally contains more nutrients than white rice due to the fact that only the husk is removed during milling.
- Rice – is included as another complex carbohydrate. White rice is a low-fat carbohydrate and a protein source containing essential amino acids. It is considered to be a better ingredient than corn or wheat which are common ingredients in other brands.
- Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid) – is a good source of linoleic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid. It also provides Vitamins E and B as well as its natural anti-oxidant effects.
- Natural Flavors – are of unspecified origin and quality, little is known about this ingredient.
- Potassium Chloride
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin
- Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3
- Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate,
- Biotin, Folic Acid)
- Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate,
- Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Rosemary Extract
California Natural asserts that this Lamb Meal and Rice dog food meets the recommended standards of nutrition for all life stages as specified by the AAFCO.
Even the little dogs need quality nutrition, as California Natural illustrates by providing high quality lamb-based nutrition with a small bite size. And while some reviews discount the quality of animal meals, it should be noted that animal meals that are properly prepared from quality ingredients can be an excellent source of quality nutrition. Protein content is concentrated, allowing for higher levels without adding extra moisture. They are exceptionally high in protein and are useful in dry formulas which must keep their moisture contents low.
Because of the amount of grains in this food, this kind of formula seems to have a high ratio of carbohydrate to protein. This can be useful to provide a quick source of energy.
The limited ingredient list is trademark for this particular brand. They aim to keep things simple and natural. As a result the ingredient list is lacking some of the often seen additions of probiotics and other such added nutrients. Dog owners need to determine if such ingredients are an essential part of their dog’s diet. Many pet owners actually prefer a smaller ingredient list as it may be less likely to promote allergic reactions in dogs with food sensitivities.
Overall, this formula seems to be a quality dog food recipe. Lack of artificial ingredients and preservatives are a definite plus for the health of your dog. This diet contains very little except food and some added vitamins and minerals. It should also be noted that this formula is both wheat and corn free, something that may be a benefit to dogs with food sensitivities or food allergies to these ingredients. An easy to read ingredient list means pet owners do not have to wonder what they are feeding their dogs.
Owners with smaller breed dogs should notice that California Natural adapted this formula from their regular food specifically for smaller dogs. Smaller kibble size with simple ingredients are the main positive factors in this USA made formula.