Single sources of both protein and carbohydrates make this a simple, and potentially less allergenic formula for larger breed dogs. California Natural seeks to provide quality nutrition in a simple product, claiming it to be more like what nature intended. Pet owners can expect to find a basic, quality food product which is carefully made, with a taste their dog should enjoy.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This formula contains 3,990 kcal per kilogram and 430 kcal per cup.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice Large Bite Dry Dog Food|
- Lamb Meal – is a concentrated form of protein. Containing up to 300% more protein than fresh meat by weight, animal meals are sometimes considered to be of questionable quality, however this brand claims to use quality meat sources. Lamb is an excellent source of animal protein that contains less saturated fats than many other meat products. It has become a popular meat in dog foods and contains many valuable minerals and nutrtients, including tryptophan, selenium, and vitamin B12. It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Brown Rice – is used here as a complex carbohydrate. Brown rice is a good source of fiber and is considered to be an easily digestable food once cooked. It also contains more nutrients than white rice since only its husk is removed during milling. It retains more dietary fiber, iron, potassium, and trace minerals, as well as other nutrients including vitamin E.
- Rice – is added as another source of carbohydrates. White rice contains somewhat less nutritional value than the brown rice mentioned above, but it is considered to be a superior ingredient over the more commonly used grains in other pet foods such as wheat and corn.
- Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid) – is a good source of linoleic acid, which is an essential omega-6 fatty acid vital for proper health.
- Natural Flavors – are of unspecified origin and quality, little is known about this ingredient.
- Potassium Chloride
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin
- Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3
- Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate,
- Biotin, Folic Acid)
- Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate,
- Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Rosemary Extract
California Naturals states that this formula meets the dietary requirements set forth in the AAFCO nutritional profiles for all life stages.
California Natural has formulated this dog food with a larger kibble size which is suitable for larger breeds of dogs. It is a basic formula, without a lot of specialty ingredients, and devoid of any by-products or artificial preservatives. Dog owners who think that added probiotics, antioxidants, and other such ingredients are vital for their dog’s health should probably look elsewhere. However, those who want a simple, uncluttered diet may find this formula to be a perfect fit.
The protein in this food comes from lamb meal. Lamb is a good source of nutrition for dogs, and one that may cause fewer allergies in sensitive individuals. Some people may express concern for the fact that lamb meal is utilized, versus fresh meat. Animal meals can sometimes be considered inferior as they may contain meat rejected in the manufacturing process. It should be noted however, that the brand claims to use only high quality, inspected animals in all of their formulas. Because animal meal is usually much more concentrated than fresh meats, it may contain considerably more protein and other nutrients due to the lack of moisture. This kind of animal protein can be a valuable contributor to your dog’s health. It seems to be a quality ingredient in this formula.
A review of the ingredient list shows that carbohydrates come from a single grain in this formula: rice. This tends to be a grain that is less allergenic than others. While the undesignated and generic sounding rice mentioned as the third ingredient causes one to wonder about its quality, California Natural asserts that all of the rice used in the product is high quality, not secondary pieces. This formula does seem to contain a high amount of carbohydrates compared to protein. This may not be a problem, but owners concerned with feeding high carbohydrate diets should take note of the carbohydrate content here.
This California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice Large Bite Dry Dog Food is basic, high quality, U.S. made product. With a unique protein source and no wheat or corn, it creates a valuable source of nutrition to promote the health of your dog. It is recommended for large breed adult dogs due to its larger kibble size.