California Natural continues its “pure and simple” philosophy of nutrition in this unique dog food. This product is especially appropriate for dogs that thrive on a limited ingredient diet regimen. It uses lamb meal for its single animal protein source, and it is one of very few dry diets that has no grains. The kibble in this diet is highly digestible and rich in nutrients. In comparison to other dog foods this product has a short ingredient list, but each ingredient listed is a nutrient your dog needs and this diet does not have the things your dog doesn’t need like artifical preservatives or by-products.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
One kilogram of this product provides 3730 Kcal, and there are 450 Kcal per cup of dry kibble.
This product comes in three sizes. The 5 lb. bag costs on average $13.99, while the 15 lb. bag costs $36.99 and the 30 lb. bag $59.99.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Grain Free Lamb Meal Formula Adult Dry Dog Food|
- Lamb meal — a meat concentrate that has about 300% more protein than fresh lamb. It is essentially lamb meat that has been cooked, dried and ground. Once the moisture has been removed the end result is a product with a higher protien concentration than fresh meat.
- Peas — provide high quality carbohydrates as well as a plant-based protein source to this diet. Peas are low in fat and rich in potassium as well as B vitamins. They are high in insoluble fiber and are considered to be a slowly digestable starch, which may benefit pets who need to stabilize their blood sugar.
- Potatoes — provide easily digestible complex carbohydrates and other nutrients such as potassium, and magnesium. They are often incorporated into hypoallergenic dog foods because of their low antigenic potiential, and so may benefit dogs suffering from certain food allergies.
- Sunflower oil (naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols) — This oil is rich in the omega-6 fatty acid named linoleic acid which is an unsaturated fatty acid vital for proper health as well as a healthy coat. It also contains vitamins E and B.
- Pea fiber—from pea seed coats and hulls, this item has a high fiber content, of both soluble and insoluble fibers. It is an extremely low-fat ingredient and can be used to lower the overall calorie content of foods. It is also a good ingredient for those dog’s which need to control their blood glucose levels since it can help modulate their glycemic response.
Other Ingredients List
- Natural flavors
- Potassium chloride
- Minerals: zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, calcium iodate
- Vitamins: Vitamin E supplement, Betaine hydrochloride, Niacin supplement, Thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement, beta carotene, Vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid
California Natural Grain Free Lamb Meal Formula Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles for maintenance.
This dry dog food gets its protein primarily from lamb meal, but also from the vegetable – peas. Meat concentrates are not only an excellent source of protein, but are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. The company’s website states that fresh meat isn’t used in significant quantities in their manufacturing because of the difficulties of creating dry food from substances with such high moisture contents. This product does contain vitamin supplementation as well as added minerals that are chelated to protein so that they will be absorbed more easily. This kind of mineral additive is one indication that the food is of higher quality than some others. California Natural indicates that there are certain ingredients intentionally left out of their diets this helps to reduce the occurance of allergies or sensitivities to their foods. This particular diet is completely grain-free.
The California Natural brand promotes the benefits of rotational feeding. In this system, switching your dog’s feed periodically not only gives your pet more taste variety, by changing the main protein source you may reduce food sensitivities. The idea is that they are not eating any one type of food longer enough to develop sensitivities to it. In addition, your pet may also gain a more diverse nutrient profile through rotation since each type of meat has a slightly different blend of amino acids and other nutrients. Lastly, rotating foods may help to keep your dog from becoming a picky eater.
Maintaining a healthy weight that is appropriate for his age, size and activity level is important for your dog’s health. Begin use of this food by making the transition slowly. Feed him the amount recommended on the bag and adjust periodically if he seems to be gaining or losing an inappropriate amount of weight.
California Natural dog foods are made by Natura Pet Products, which, since 2010, has been a distinct business unit of the Proctor and Gamble Company. All Natura dry kibble formulas are made at their plant in Fremont, Nebraska. They seem to be committed to making healthy, high quality feeds and claim to be the first company to create a dry pet food that doesn’t contain grain.