While there are many types of allergies in dogs and many ways to develop them, most commonly food allergies develop through exposure to a particular food item over a period of time. As more pets are developing allergies, pet food manufacturers are trying to find alternative sources of protein for them and developing grain-free foods. One of the protein alternatives is kangaroo. California Natural brand Grain Free Kangaroo & Red Lentils Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is an American-made alternative that is available for sensitive dogs.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo & Red Lentils Formula Adult dry dog food provides 3487 kcal/kg or 434 kcal/cup as fed. Please refer to the feeding chart on the bag for how much to feed your pet.
This particular food is a bit more expensive, even for allergy foods. You’ll pay $40 for a 15 lb bag, or $70 for a 30 lb bag. You may want to try other allergy formulas first, but this is an alternative if you can’t find the food trigger for your dog.
|January 17, 2013|
|California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo and Red Lentils Formula Adult Dry Dog Food|
- Kangaroo – This protein source is an acceptable one, and obviously one your dog will not have been exposed to generally. This makes it a great alternative for overly allergic dogs, or dogs you can’t determine the allergy trigger for.
- Red & Green Lentils – Lentils are not generally in dog foods. This isn’t any problem, they are an acceptable carbohydrate source. And again, your dog will not likely have been exposed to these unless you’ve been cooking for him. It is extremely unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Peas – Another carbohydrate source. You generally don’t see this is too many dog foods, but it is out there occasionally in other allergy foods. Your dog may have had this, but not likely if this is your first foray out into low allergy foods.
- Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Source of Vitamin E) – Your dog needs fats or oils in their diet for skin, coat, and certain other functions. Sunflower oil is occasionally seen in allergy foods but not often, and is not likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Flaxseed – Flaxseed has been found to have Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, which have various benefits to your dog. This is a newer ingredient, and as such, isn’t likely to cause a reaction.
- Pea Fiber
- Dicalcium Phosphate
- Natural Flavors
- Calcium Carbonate
- DL-Methionine (Amino Acid)
- Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid)
California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo & Red Lentils Formula Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.
California Natural brand Grain Free Kangaroo & Red Lentils Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is more expensive than your typical kind of allergy dog food. This food was created with a very uncommon type of protein option for pets who are very allergic and overly sensitive to many dog food products. There are no grains at all, and there is no potato. Using unusual carbohydrate sources means you’re very unlikely to have any difficulties feeding this particular variety to a sensitive dog.
There is little likelihood that your dog will have been exposed to kangaroo meat as a food ingredient, and therefore, should not be sensitive to this ingredient in his diet. In addition, the carbohydrate and fiber elements are also selected for their uncommon content in pet food. This means it would be nearly impossible for a dog to have developed an allergy through eating any of these ingredients. This is a very good alternative for some dogs who cannot tolerate feeding with standard foods.
The particular combination of ingredients means it’s a very good option for certain pets. It has two ingredients with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, which provide some soothing qualities for sensitive dogs as well as great health benefits. There are none of the common allergy triggers, as you’ll note in the nutritional analysis.
Lastly, kangaroo meat is highly valued for its leanness and quality. You will be providing your pet with a very good, though expensive, alternative protein source. This is definitely a niche food, but for allergy-prone dogs, the ingredients could be the difference between miserable itchiness and a normal life.