California Natural Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is a pet food product that gives additional food options to owners of allergy prone pets and those who are concerned about the high amount of grains in traditional food options. This formula has a very limited ingredient list, and eliminates all grain sources. Chicken is the only animal source for protein and fat, so you can be sure that you’re not unwilling adding in other protein sources that your dog may not tolerate.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
California Natural Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Adult food provides 3760.0 kcal/kg, or 454.0 kcal/cup as fed.
Cost ranges from $13 for a 5 lb. bag, $35 for a 15 lb. bag, or $53 for a 30 lb. bag.
|January 17, 2013
|California Natural Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Chicken Meal – Chicken Meal is esentially chicken meat that has been cooked and then dried to remove it’s water content. The resulting product is then ground to make the meal. Because the water has been removed, this product is now a more concentrated protein source than natural Chicken. Chicken is easily digestible for dogs, and a good source of protein.
- Peas – Peas are the main carbohydrate ingredient. This is a grain-free and gluten-free carbohydrate source and so may be a good option for dogs who are sensitive or allergic to other ingredients more commonly used in other pet foods. Peas are also an excellent fiber source and they are low in fat and rich in potassium.
- Pea Fiber – This is low-fat, high fiber ingredient is becoming more common in pet foods. It is high in both soluble and insoluble fibers. A recent article in an established veterinary journal indicates that pea fiber is a legitimate replacement fiber for pet foods, causing no problems for normal dogs, and can be beneficial for regulating blood sugar in diabetic dogs due its ability to help modulate the glycemic response (ie- to help prevent spikes in blood sugar).
- Chicken Fat – Sticking with a single animal source, chicken fat provides the necessary fats to create this complete and balanced dog food. Chicken fat also provides Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to this diet. Chicken fat is a desirable source for these fats and fatty acids because it is considered to be one of the most digestible animal fat sources available.
- Sunflower Oil – Another source of fats and fatty acids, Sunflower oil is high in Omega-6 fatty acids. These fatty acids are necessary for dogs in order to maintain healthy skin, coat, and other body processes.
Other Ingredients List
- Natural Flavors
- Potassium Chloride
- Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
- Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid)
California Natural Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.
California Natural brand Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is one of the newer limited ingredient pet foods that is great for any dog that’s sensitive to grains. They have eliminated all grain sources and have used peas and pea fiber for the carbohydrate and fiber needs. Since peas and pea fiber are such new ingredients, they are very unlikely to cause any reactions. If you have concerns over manufacturing practices, you’ll be happy to know this is an American-made product you can have confidence in.
The contents of this pet food are all ones we recognize and are quality ingredients for a nutritionally balanced food. Chicken Meal is highly digestible, and is an excellent source of animal protein. The peas and pea fiber in this diet remove the need for a grain source and removes worry for those with pets who have a history of reactions to grains in their diets. The guaranteed analysis information reveals a food with good ratio of ingredients. You can feel comfortable watching your dog eat this Chicken Meal formula, even if they’ve experienced difficulties or allergies with other foods in the past.
The peas and sunflower oil provide a good blend of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, which provide anti-inflammatory effects as well as anti-oxidant benefits to your pet’s diet. They can help fortify your pet’s immune system, promote healing and support health throughout the body.
While limited ingredient diets may not be necessary for all pets, this is a good quality, high nutrition alternative for those pet owners who struggle with feeding their allergic or sensitive dogs. It is important to have alternatives to traditional dog food formulations especially for those who own dogs that are sensitive to grain-based diets. This food contains a single protein source and eliminates grains and so may be a good one to try especially if your dog has a know sensitivity to grains.
In summary, this is a good quality food with a good mix of ingredients that would be good for any dog, and may be especially good for those dog’s who are sensitive or allergic to grains.