Allergies are not pleasant to deal with in man or beast. If you are struggling to deal with food sensitivities in your pet, Blue Buffalo offers this formula as a possible solution. Salmon and potatoes make an excellent pair for dogs with hypersensitivities to certain foods. These are the featured products in this formula, featuring no wheat, corn, soy, or animal by-products. Rich in essential fatty acids and boasting a higher than average protein content for cans, this seems to be a quality product. Owners looking for a completely grain-free product should be aware of the oatmeal content in this dog food.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This dog food contains metabolizable energy in the amount of 1,290 kcal per kilogram or 450 kcal per cup.
Due to varying factors, the exact prices will vary, but the average price is $29.99 per case of 12, or around $2.50 per can.
|March 6, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato Recipe Canned Dog Food|
- Salmon – is an excellent source of animal-based protein, as well as essential fatty acids (EFA’s). Adequate EFA’s cannot be produced in the body, so your dog needs to gain these from his diet. EFA’s may help to promote healthy heart function, support the immune system, and help other vital functions.
- Fish Broth – can be an excellent source of readily available vitamins and minerals. Although some discount broth as having no nutritional value, animal broths have been praised throughout history for their nutritious, therapeutic properties.
- Potatoes – are generally considered another high quality carbohydrate source. In comparison to grains, potatoes are generally considered to be less allergenic. They contain important flavonoids, vitamin A, and both soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Oatmeal – is a source of complex carbohydrates that are absorbed slowly, releasing sugar and energy gradually, rather than overwhelming the body as simple carbohydrates may. They are a valuable source of dietary fiber, iron, and other essential vitamins. Oats are especially high in B vitamins, which may aid in breaking down fats for the nervous system and help support muscle tone, skin, hair, and eye health. Also said to contain a blend of many of the essential amino acids.
- Pea Protein – this is what is left after removing the starchy part of peas. This cuts down on the carbohydrate content and increases the amount of protein by weight.
- Sunflower Oil (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids),
- Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids),
- Cassia Gum,
- Potassium Chloride,
- Guar Gum,
- Vitamin A Supplement,
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),
- Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3),
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
- Biotin Supplement (Vitamin B7),
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),
- Vitamin B12 Supplement,
- Vitamin D3 Supplement,
- Vitamin E Supplement,
- Zinc Amino Acid Chelate,
- Copper Amino Acid Chelate,
- Manganese Amino Acid Chelate,
- Choline Chloride,
- Sodium Selenite,
- Potassium Iodide
No AAFCO Statement was found for this formula. This does not mean that the formula does not comply with AAFCO standards, simply that the company does not post compliance.
Blue Buffalo’s “Basics” line is an attempt to limit ingredients in dog food to avoid some of the more common allergens. This salmon and potato recipe not only reduces the number of allergens, but also provides an excellent, high quality source of animal protein. Salmon, as well as many other ocean fish, have been widely hailed for the wonderful nutrition they offer, especially Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids (EFA’s) are an essential part of the diet as they cannot be produced in adequate amounts in the body. Salmon is said to offer support for the brain and nervous system, the heart, joints, and is highly lauded because it may promote healthy skin and coat.
Potatoes are a fairly common carbohydrate source in formulas seeking to reduce allergens. Whole potatoes offer some great nutrients in addition to their tendency to be easily digested. They make a good addition to a dog’s diet.
Deciding what your dog will eat can be a challenge, but the Blue Basics formulas help with those decisions. Because of the quality proteins in this food, and the fact that its moisture comes from broth rather than simple water, this formula can be considered to be an above average canned dog food. It would be nice if Blue Buffalo brand would provide AAFCO compliance information, but an examination of the ingredients and nutrient values in this food should be able to set dog owners’ minds at ease.
Slightly higher protein content is seen in this formula, as well as reasonable amounts of fats. This information, coupled with the lack of typical allergy causing foods make this a recommended formula for your favorite pet. Made in the USA, many pet owners have come to rely on the high quality nutrition provided by Blue Buffalo products.