While many pet food manufactures offer weight control formulas, the Blue Buffalo brand does it while still providing an impressive range of nutrients and quality carbohydrates to ensure your dog will not suffer under a weight control program. High quality meat proteins combined with gluten free carbohydrates and power-packed nutritional ingredients indicate an attention to detail that will benefit the life of your favorite dog.
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe contains 3,290 Kcals per kilogram or 415 Kcal per dry cup of food.
This product is available in 6 lb, 15 lb, and 30lb bags. Generally, customers will find the 30 lb bag to be the most economical with an average price of $1.79 per pound. The 6 lb bag averages much higher, with an estimated cost of $2.83 per pound.
|March 6, 2013|
|Blue Buffalo Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food|
- Deboned Chicken – is an excellent source of dietary protein. Dogs generally thrive on animal-based proteins, and Blue Buffalo claims to offer the goodness of whole chicken without any animal by-products.
- Whole Ground Brown Rice – is a quality complex carbohydrate that is generally easy to digest after cooking. Providing fiber and great nutrients, brown rice is not considered to be a cheap filler.
- Whole Ground Barley – is much like brown rice in providing quality carbohydrates without any gluten.
- Oatmeal – is another complex carbohydrate known to provide B vitamins as well as energy and fiber.
- Chicken Meal – included in this recipe is not an animal by-product, according to the manufacturer. Instead it is a concentrated source of animal protein from quality chicken parts.
- Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene),
- Rice Bran,
- Natural Chicken Flavor,
- Whole Potatoes,
- Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols),
- Whole Carrots,
- Whole Sweet Potatoes,
- Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids),
- Barley Grass,
- Dried Parsley,
- Alfalfa Meal,
- Dried Kelp,
- Yucca Schidigera Extract,
- Glucosamine Hydrochloride,
- Chondroitin Sulfate,
- Sunflower Oil (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids),
- Dried Chicory Root,
- Oil of Rosemary,
- Beta Carotene,
- Calcium Carbonate,
- Vitamin A Supplement,
- Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),
- Niacin (Vitamin B3),
- d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5),
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
- Biotin (Vitamin B7),
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9),
- Vitamin B12 Supplement,
- Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C),
- Vitamin D3 Supplement,
- Vitamin E Supplement,
- Iron Amino Acid Chelate,
- Choline Chloride,
- Sodium Selenite,
- Calcium Iodate,
- Potassium Chloride,
- Dicalcium Phosphate,
- Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae),
- Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,
- Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,
- Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product,
There is no information available on whether this formula meets the nutritional guidelines outlined by the AAFCO. This appears to be true for all of Blue Buffalo’s formulas, an unfortunate trend, since dog owners have grown to look for that statement when choosing what kind of food their dog will eat.
Once again, Blue Buffalo brings an excellent quality kibble providing an adequate range of nutrients to maintain optimal health. A review of the ingredients indicate great nutrition and a taste dogs should love to eat.
This formula also contains several key nutrients that are not recognized as an essential part of a dog’s diet by the AAFCO, but which may contribute to the overall health and well being of a dog’s life. Blue Buffalo lists the following:
- L-Canitine: 100mg/kg min.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: 0.2% min.
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids: 2.5% min.
- Glucosamine: 400 mg/kg min
- Chondroitin: 300 mg/kg min
This formula seems to have a lower fat content than many dog foods of this kind, making more likely to help maintain healthy weight levels in most adult dogs. At the same time, adequate levels of animal-based proteins as well as a myriad of vitamins, minerals, and other important nutrients ensure adequate nutrition levels. Low fat levels mean pet owners can feed without fear of promoting obesity.
Blue Buffalo claims to have added their exclusive “LifeSource Bits” to this kibble, suggesting support for a healthy immune system, meeting the needs of various life stage requirements, and maintaining a healthy oxidative balance. The lineup of quality nutrients, including good bacteria for the gut suggest that this formula is an exceptionally good kibble to meet the needs of many adult dogs.