Before Grain Tripe canned dog food comes in a no grain formula. These diets are especially good for owners whose pets that are sensitive to grains, as well as for those owners who prefer a diet more in line with a dog’s natural diet. In addition, this is a good alternative for diabetic dogs who need fewer carbs to keep their blood sugar steady.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
884 kcal/kg. A single 13.2 oz. can provides 336 calories of metabolizable energy (ME).
Pricing will vary, but generally a case of 12 cans will be approximately $29.
|January 17, 2013|
|Before Grain Tripe Canned Dog Food|
- Beef Tripe – This is your main protein ingredient. There isn’t any indication whether this is cleaned beef tripe or “green” tripe. Cleaned beef tripe is a good source of protein for dogs, but the green variety has several more good things to recommend it. There is no way from the labeling that we can tell which variety it is. Tripe is beef stomach, and is a very nutritious natural protein source that is highly recommended.
- Beef Broth – Common ingredient in canned, wet variety dog foods. Not generally very nutritive, this is more a flavor enhancer.
- Dried Egg – Dried eggs are a dehydrated shell free egg product that is a condensed version. They provide a protein source that are easily digestible and usually are of high quality.
- Yeast Extract – This is a controversial ingredient. It is a high protein ingredient and has some other nutritive value. There are some reports that claim it can repel fleas, but it can also trigger allergies in sensitive dogs. You may need to be aware that this ingredient may be a problem to a few dogs.
- Calcium Carbonate – This ingredient is used for the calcium content, and is a common ingredient in dog foods. It’s not known to cause problems, though there have been erroneous news reports indicating this.
- Sodium Phosphate
- Potassium Chloride
- Choline Chloride
- Mixed Tocopherols
- Vitamin E Supplement
- Zinc Amino Acid Complex
- Iron Amino Acid Complex
- Manganese Amino Acid Complex
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Copper Amino Acid Complex
- d-Calcium Pantothenate
- Vitamin A Acetate
- Vitamin D3 Supplement
- Riboflavin Supplement
- Folic Acid
- Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide
- Cobalt Glucoheptanate
- Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
- Thiamine Mononitrate
- Sodium Selenite
This product is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO dog nutrient profile for all life stages.
While at times it’s a matter of preference to have a no-grain diet, sometimes it’s important requirement for other dog owners. If you have a pet who shows signs of allergy, one of the more common culprits is food products—generally when they eat grains. You’ll notice that Before Grain brand Tripe canned dog food does not include any grain products at all, and has a large selection of vitamins and minerals for your pet’s health and nutrition.
This tripe canned food could have additional benefits of digestive enzymes or other natural food products, but this is determined by the cleaning process used on the beef tripe prior to canning. There is no way to determine how much of the additional benefits this may or may not have.
You may need to note the yeast ingredient analysis. If your dog has a sensitivity to this ingredient, please avoid. If you don’t know how this may affect your dog, watch after feedings. Only a very few dogs will be affected adversely by a yeast.
In addition, with no grain contents, this is an ideal product for diabetic dogs. In all, this is a nutritious dog food with a variety of vitamins and minerals. The quality of protein is exceptional, and there is only a single questionable ingredient. If you have a sensitive or diabetic dog, or you’re an owner who prefers a natural kind of meat diet, this is a good quality alternative.
I feel it notable that you need to be aware that the 100% meat product cans are still available in some locations online and are not AAFCO approved. If you are purchasing this product, please make sure you are aware whether you are purchasing the older or new formulation to be sure your dog is getting the proper nutrition. The new product (96% meat) is the one that is a complete diet for all dog life stages.