The philosophy of the Acana brand is to make dog food with a high percentage of meat-based protein that will mimic the natural diet of a foraging canine in the wild. Accordingly, 60% of the ingredients by weight are animal-based protein sources with the other 40% coming from regional vegetables and fruits. Fresh ingredients are bought from sources local to the plant so they are never frozen or chemically preserved. The Ranchlands recipe features red meats such as fresh free-range beef, bison, and lamb in addition to lamb and fish meals.
Nutritional Content Information
Kcal Information – Calories Per Cup
This dry food has 3850 Kcal per kilogram of kibble, which is 460 Kcal per 250 mL cup (120 g). The calories distribute as 33% from protein, 31% from carbohydrates, and 36% from fat.
Acana Ranchlands comes in three sizes. The 5.5 bag (2.5 kg) costs about $19.99, the 15.4 lb bag (7 kg) $40.99, and the 29.7 bag (13.5 kg) $72.99.
|April 26, 2013|
|Acana Ranchlands Grain Free Dry Dog Food|
- Deboned beef — fresh free-range beef from local Canadian producers
- Lamb meal — a cooked meat product very high in protein & nutrients
- Herring meal — a cooked fish concentrate high in protein & nutrients
- Russet potato — a source of easily digestible carbohydrate
- Peas — provides carbohydrates, protein, and fiber
Other Ingredients List
- Herring oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols)
- Deboned bison
- Deboned lamb
- Sun-cured alfalfa
- Salmon meal
- Lamb liver
- Pea fiber
- Turnip greens
- Juniper berries
- Chicory root
- Licorice root
- Angelica root
- Marigold flowers
- Sweet fennel
- Peppermint leaf
- Chamomile flowers
- Lavender flowers
- Summer savory
- Vitamin A supplement
- Vitamin D3 supplement
- Vitamin E supplement
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B12 supplement
- Zinc proteinate
- Iron proteinate
- Manganese proteinate
- Copper proteinate
- Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product
- Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product
Acana Ranchlands is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
The fresh meats used in this food are from grass-fed free-range animals that are certified antibiotic-free and designed fit for human consumption. That being said, there is also a significant percentage of the protein (perhaps even the majority) provided by lamb and herring meals. These are cooked meat concentrates that are very high in protein and nutrients and do not have the high moisture of fresh meats. Their dryness makes very attractive and even necessary in the manufacture of dry kibble. Since the product contains 60% meat-based products by weight, the result has an attractively high protein level.
Potatoes and peas provide the carbohydrates and help to hold the food together. Both are good sources of nutrients and fiber as well as the kind of carbs that are easy for your pet to digest. The food is grain-free to avoid food allergies or sensitivities. A long list of vegetables, fruits, and botanicals are also included to provide extra nutritional support. Other indicators of a high-quality food are the complete vitamin supplements and the mineral proteinates. Chelating minerals to proteins makes them easier for your pet to absorb and use them. Probiotics, which are supplied as the listed fermentation products, help to encourage good bacteria growth in the gut for a healthy digestive system.
Analysis and review of the Acana Ranchlands show that it is a high-quality meat-based food that will most likely provide great nutrition for your pet. Be sure to monitor your dog’s weight and change how much he eats if you see an inappropriate gain or loss of weight. A healthy dog should look have plenty of energy, look lean and be athletic. Good nutrition and exercise are important factors in a long and happy life for your pet.
Acana is a brand produced by the Champion Pet Foods company of Alberta, Canada. All kibbles are manufactured at their plant on the Alberta prairie.